Tonight’s dinner is Chili Jam Chicken with roasted cashew nuts and basil leaves.
This is a Thai dish and readily available in most Thai restaurant menu. It is extremely delicious and tasty. It is sweet, salty and a bit spicy. I love this dish and frequently make this for us. It is almost addictive because of the sweetness and saltiness of the dish. It is aromatic with the basil leaves, and a bit nutty with the roasted cashew nuts.
Adjust the sweetness, saltiness and spiciness to suit your own taste by adjusting the amount of palm sugar, fish sauce and chili to add into the dish.
First, the caramalised chili jam.
To prepare this:
1. Chop 1 red capsicum, 1 red onion, 3 cloves garlic and 2 fresh red chilies
2. Mix all ingredients in a food processor
3. Blend the ingredients until smooth
4. Mix a 1 1/2 cup of water with a a pinch of tamarind pulp to extract the juice.
5. Heat a saucepan with some oil.
6. Add the mixed ingredients and simmer gently.
7. Add 4 tablespoons palm sugar. Stir until sugar is melted into the paste.
8. Add tamarind juice. Continue to simmer until the paste thickens and has a rich, glossy caramalised look.
9. Set aside to be used later.
1. Heat some oil in a hot wok.
2. Toss in about 8 white sections of spring onion. Give them a quick stir fry until fragrant.
3. Add chicken. Stir fry until almost cooked. Add 3 tablespoons of fish sauce. Continue to stir fry until chicken is cooked.
4. Add 5 tablespoons of chili jam.
5. Add some beans and diced red capsicum. Continue to stir fry.
6. Add roasted cashew nuts and a bunch of basil leaves.
7. Continue to stir fry for another minute or two.
Serve with steamed rice.